Changing your details

It’s very important to tell us if you change your postal address or property details - find out how.  


Changing your postal address

You can either write to us at Queenstown Lakes District Council, Private Bag 50072, Queenstown 9348, fax us on 03 450 2223 , email us at or phone us on 03 441 0499 or 03 443 0024.

You can also fill out the change of address form on the back of your rates invoice remittance slip.


Change of property ownership

To change the information on a rates account when a property is sold, the Council must receive the Notice of Sale from a solicitor.

The Local Government (Rating) Act 2002 requires that notice of change of ownership must be received by the Council within one month of the property transaction.



Rates are a charge on a property, not a person.  This means that if there are any outstanding rates on a property at the time of purchase, they become the responsibility of the new owner.

The vendor’s solicitor will usually identify outstanding rates and negotiate the sale to ensure they are paid.

If you receive an overdue notice for rates accrued by a previous owner, please contact your solicitor to resolve the matter with the previous owners.



If you receive a rates notice after you have sold a property, it may mean that the Council has not been notified of the sale.  Please contact your solicitor to make sure the Council has been notified.

If you have been paying your rates by direct debit, the payments will be cancelled automatically when the Council receives the notice of sale.


Change of Name on a property

Please contact your solicitor if you need to change information on a rates account due to a death, marriage or name change by deed pole.  The Council requires a Notice of Change of Ownership before any changes can be made to the account.

The Council's records must reflect those of Land Information New Zealand.


Suppression of postal address information

A law change means that names and postal addresses on our rates database can be made available to the general public if it does not breach the principles of the Privacy Act 1993.

You have the right to have this information withheld.  Please send a written request to:

The Rating Administrator, Private Bag 50072, Queenstown 9348.

Please state the property address and whether you wish to suppress name/s, address or both.