What is an abandoned vehicle?
A vehicle is considered abandoned when it has been left in a public place for a continuous period of more than 28 days other than in a designated long term parking area.
How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
Please ring QLDC 03 441 0499. Make sure you can provide the following information about the vehicle:
- Condition of Vehicle
What happens after I have reported an abandoned vehicle?
- All reports of abandoned vehicles are investigated by us within 24 hours.
- A photo is taken of the vehicle.
- We will monitor the vehicle, and if it is not moved, after 12 days we will place a 48 hour notice on it warning that it will be removed.
- If the vehicle remains in the location it will be removed.
What happens to the vehicle once it has been towed?
- We will assess the vehicle and try to identify the owner.
- Where appropriate, we will have the owner take responsibility for the vehicle, including any costs incurred.
- Police are notified of all cars towed.
- Where we cannot locate the owner, and the vehicle can be sold, we will publicly advertise to sell the vehicle; or dispose of them (crush) where they cannot be sold.